Today’s Oil & Gas Update – Vaalco Energy and more…
Oil & Gas Daily Flow
Non-Independent Research; Marketing & Sales Commentary – MiFID II exempt information – see disclaimer below
Market Update: Tuesday 11 May 2021
Vaalco Energy (LON:EGY): 70% of production hedged to the end of October 2021
Brent Oil US$67.7/bbl vs US$68.6/bbl yesterday
WTI Oil US$64.3/bbl vs US$65.3/bbl yesterday
Natural Gas US$2.91/mmbtu vs US$2.93/mmbtu yesterday
Oil Price News
- Money managers continue to take a bullish stance in oil futures and options contracts, estimating that oil prices will increase later this year as economies reopen and travel and fuel demand rise
- In the week to 4 May, hedge funds bought the equivalent of 40MMbbls in both Brent and WTI according to Reuters
- This was the fourth week in a row in which portfolio managers have added long positions in oil futures
- In the week to 27 April, hedge funds added the equivalent of 30MMbbls in the six most important petroleum futures and options contracts
- At the time, this was the most bullish position in the oil complex in more than two and a half months, with the net long in crude oil futures jumping to the highest in six weeks
- In the past few weeks, signs of oil demand recovery outweighed bearish news such as India’s records in daily coronavirus cases as market participants expect the reopening of major developed economies to lead to increased travel and fuel demand for the rest of the year
- Both Brent and WTI saw increased net long position, the difference between bullish and bearish positions, in the week to 4 May
- The increased net long was predominantly driven by fresh longs entering the market
- Oil prices posted weekly gains in the past two weeks, for a first such back-to-back weekly gain in nearly two months
Gas Price News
- Natural gas futures are edged lower yesterday shortly after the regular session opening
- The market continues to consolidate near a two-month high after settling 0.92% higher last week
- The price movement suggests traders are waiting for a catalyst after last week’s performance was supported by “a favourable storage report, continued robust export activity and the spectre of stronger cooling demand on the near-term horizon,” according to Natural Gas Intelligence
- While the temperatures in the United States have been cooler than anticipated, the reality is that sooner or later the oversupply of natural gas comes back into the picture
- There has been foreign demand for liquefied natural gas, but at the end of the day there is more than enough natural gas in the United States to cover all bases
- After posting a strong gain last week and changing the trend to up on the daily chart, natural gas bulls are hoping that the market continues to remain supported by solid LNG demand and forecasts calling for more heat
- Strong demand from manufacturing also helped buoy natural gas prices
- US Durable Goods orders are stoked by manufacturing demand that has been building since last fall
- According to the Commerce Department, new orders for durable goods increased by 0.5% to US$256.3bn in March compared with February
- According to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, the rally in natural gas comes despite warmer than expected weather that will cover most of the United States for the next two weeks
Vaalco Energy (LON:EGY): 70% of production hedged to the end of October 2021
Share Price: 180p, Market Cap: GBP104m
- Vaalco has confirmed that the Company has entered into crude oil commodity swap agreements for a total of 672,533bbls at a Dated Brent weighted average price of US$66.51/bbl for the period from and including May 2021 through October 2021.
- These swaps will settle on a monthly basis.
- The Company is hedging a majority of its 2021 production volumes to protect cash flows which are expected to be used to fund the 2021/2022 drilling program of up to four wells and the potential Floating Storage and Offloading (FSO) unit capital upgrade costs if an agreement is executed.
- The Company entered into similar commodity swap agreements in January 2021.
- In total, Vaalco now has 70% of its production hedged through October 2021 at a Dated Brent weighted average price of US$62.27/bbl.
Our take: Vaalco continues to protect is free cash flow outlook on the back of strong commodity pricing. This is particularly important as the Company is benefitting from the additional volumes associated with the acquisition of Sasol’s interest at Etame that closed in late February. With these additional hedges, Vaalco has materially de-risked its work program from a funding standpoint, and management expects the Company’s capital commitments over the next 12 months to be fully funded through cash flow and cash on hand therefore avoiding any near term shareholder dilution.
Research – Oil & Gas
Sam Wahab – 0203 470 0473 / 0784 385 5037
Richard Parlons – 020 3470 0472
Abigail Wayne – 020 3470 0534
Rob Rees – 020 3470 0535
Grant Barker – 020 3470 0471
Prince Frederick House
35-39 Maddox Street London
+SP Angel employees may have previously held, or currently hold, shares in the companies mentioned in this note.
Sources of commodity prices
Oil Brent, WTI – ICE
Natural Gas – NYMEX
Disclaimer Non-Independent Research
This note has been issued by SP Angel Corporate Finance LLP (“SP Angel”) in order to promote its investment services and is a marketing communication for the purposes of the European Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID) and FCA’s Rules. It has not been prepared in accordance with the legal requirements designed to promote the independence or objectivity of investment research and is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of its dissemination.
SP Angel considers this note to be an acceptable minor non-monetary benefit as defined by the FCA which may be received without charge. In summary, this is because the content is either considered to be commissioned by SP Angel’s clients as part our advisory services to them or is short-term market commentary. Commissioned research may from time to time include thematic and macro pieces. For further information on this and other important disclosures please the Legal and Regulatory Notices section of our website Legal and Regulatory Notices
While prepared in good faith and based upon sources believed to be reliable SP Angel does not make any guarantee, representation or warranty, (either express or implied), as to the factual accuracy, completeness, or sufficiency of information contained herein.
The value of investments referenced herein may go up or down and past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance. Where investment is made in currencies other than the base currency of the investment, movements in exchange rates will have an effect on the value, either favourable or unfavourable. Securities issued in emerging markets are typically subject to greater volatility and risk of loss.
The investments discussed in this note may not be suitable for all investors and the note does not take into account the investment objectives and policies, financial position or portfolio composition of any recipient. Investors must make their own investment decisions based upon their own financial objectives, resources and appetite for risk.
This note is confidential and is being supplied to you solely for your information. It may not be reproduced, redistributed or passed on, directly or indirectly, to any other person or published in whole or in part, for any purpose. If this note has been sent to you by a party other than SPA the original contents may have been altered or comments may have been added. SP Angel is not responsible for any such amendments.
Neither the information nor the opinions expressed herein constitute, or are to be construed as, an offer or invitation or other solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell investments. Opinions and estimates included in this note are subject to change without notice. This information is for the sole use of Eligible Counterparties and Professional Customers and is not intended for Retail Clients, as defined by the rules of the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”).
Publication of this note does not imply future production of notes covering the same issuer(s) or subject matter.
SP Angel, its partners, officers and or employees may own or have positions in any investment(s) mentioned herein or related thereto and may, from time to time add to, or dispose of, any such investment(s).
SPA has put in place a number of measures to avoid or manage conflicts of interest with regard to the preparation and distribution of research. These include (i) physical, virtual and procedural information barriers (ii) a prohibition on personal account dealing by analysts and (iii) measures to ensure that recipients and persons wishing to access the research receive/are able to access the research at the same time.
SP Angel Corporate Finance LLP is a company registered in England and Wales with company number OC317049 and whose registered office address is Prince Frederick House, 35-39 Maddox Street, London W1S 2PP. SP Angel Corporate Finance LLP is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority whose address is 12 Endeavour Square, London E20 1JN.
Recommendations are based on a 12-month time horizon as follows:
Buy – Expected return >15%
Hold – Expected return range -15% to +15%
Sell – Expected return < 15%